At the time of publication, the Wuhan, China coronavirus has already claimed 213 lives. It is still spreading and with each hour comes reports of a new case detected somewhere in the world.
Fortunately, the number of countries reporting detection of infected cases is still less than 20.
As long as the governments of the world undertake preventive meaures the spread will be halted and limited.
However, it's always best to take preventive measures into your own hands because your health is your responsibility untimately and not the government's.
There are 2 methods of prevention:
- External or barrier methods and
- Systemic or individual immunity building.
This would involve preventing the virus from entering your body's cells. The barriers that we can avail ourselves of are face masks and washing hands requently. Regreatbly, supplies of face masks and hand sanitizers may run out.
So it's wise to also back up your body by building up your immunity.
The best way to build up your immune system is by sticking to a highly nutritious diet. Diet is always the go to plan when you want to avoid and to alleviate disease.
A poor diet or malnutrition is the #1 cause of non-communicable diseases and also many contagious diseases.
Get the idea of fast-food chains out of your head. They are the biggest cause of malnutrition in the world. They can rightly be considered junk food. Most of them are highly processed and therefore are devoid of much nutrition.
- Instead, research has shown that fresh food is always nutrient-rich. So stick to such food.
2. Next, unfortunately, even many food itmes sourced fresh from the ocean or farm, is nutrient poor. We have highligted the reasons in our publication - 18 Reasons to Take Vitamins & Supplements. So you would have to rely on vitamins and supplements to boost your immunity. Here are the most common and well researched you should take for immune system boosting during this scary coronavirus epidemic.
iii) vitamin D
iv) vitamin C
In the absense of a vaccine against this virus, your best bet is to boost your immunity. If you think this is money depleting strategy, think about how much of your bank account will be emptied if you get infected with the coronavirus and end up in ICU!
In any case, you will be spending extra money only for a few weeks or month until this epidemic dies down as it sure will and did with SARS, Swine Flu and Bird Flu.
The Wuhan Coronavirus infection has killed mostly people above 60 years and one young person.
The seasonal infiuelnza virus mainly infects and kills people who have a compromised immune system.
It's a good rule of thumb to make sure that if you belong to the groups of people below who would probably have a weakened immune system, you must take all precautions you can.
- Above 60 years of age
- Children below 18 years of age
- Pregnant women
- People with the following conditions - diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, cancer